Langley Environmental Partners Society (LEPS) is a non-profit, partnership-driven organization formed in 1993 to protect and restore the natural environment through education, cooperation and action.
With support from the City of Langley, LEPS is offering a summer employment initiative to engage local youth in restoration of natural areas and the public promotion of environmental stewardship and sustainability.
The 2015 Summer Youth Employment Project will inspire and empower student participants through hands-on involvement in environmental community service projects and employment skills development.
LEPS is currently seeking two (2) high school students to participate in a full time environmental youth crew during the summer of 2015. The positions include working outdoors in environmental education, restoration and stewardship projects, and participation in employability skills training courses.
The project participants will work as a team and will be responsible for:
Field Work – undertaking habitat restoration projects such as invasive species control, streamside and natural area cleanup, planting of native trees and shrubs; community garden maintenance; storm drain marking
Public outreach – conducting neighbourhood outreach to promote environmental messages; attending a variety of community events to promote environmental messages throughout the summer (includes weekends); assisting with environmental education day camps for children
High School Student Qualifications:
- Education: Currently enrolled in a Langley high school, in grade 10 or higher returning to school in the fall, or a recent grade 12 graduate, with interest in pursuing a career in the environmental sector
- Available: July 6 to August 27, 2015
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable with public speaking, able to converse with residents about local environmental issues
- Interest and commitment to the environment and environmental stewardship
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable with physical outdoor work
- Priority will be given to students currently residing in the City of Langley. All applicants must reside in either the City or Township of Langley. Applicants not currently living in Langley will not be considered.
Work schedule: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm/Monday to Thursday/32 hours per week, plus weekend work when required
Wage: Rate of pay for the position is $10.25.
Application procedure: Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
High School Student Deadline: Application deadline for high school students is June 15, 2015